Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Type of Women I like

Let's cut to the chase, a post centered on "The Type Of Women I Like" is inherently sexist. To categorize, objectify, and compare women as if they were cars says more about the individuals doing the categorization then the women they seek to objectify.  But stay with me for a minute and let me share something with you. The other day my daughters had a tennis tournament and before I hustled them into the car I asked one of them why she was wearing her hair like she was.  Her hair could best be described as twists with a rubber band placed asymmetrically on one side.  She confidently stated, "Because I like it." For some reason that caught me off guard. I shrugged it off but as I drove to the tennis courts I kept thinking about what she said. "Because I like it." And I couldn't stop smiling.  What my daughter thought about her hair was immeasurably more important than what I thought about it. And as I watched her compete throughout the day her hairstyle grew on me. I now "liked" it. But I "liked" her attitude more. She didn't need me, her sisters, or anyone else to co-sign on something that she was already convinced of. She was not going to let someone dictate to her what was acceptable or beautiful and what wasn't. And as a parent I could not have been more proud. And I thought of women who I think are beautiful and their individual styles. Julianne Margulies whose controlled passion and quite confidence on The Good Wife is alluring. Jill Scott whose self pride and ebullient personality is infectious.  Christina Hendricks who flaunts her body and attitude with a SWAG that is admirable. Serena Williams who is built like an Amazon Warrior and has a competitive fire that has inspired a generation of girls and women. The regal and incomparable beauty of Lupita Nyong'o that is breathtaking. And you know what is especially enticing about these women?  They all have displayed an independence, a self-love, and a willingness to challenge long held beliefs of beauty that make them even more attractive. Also these women couldn't give two shakes about "The Type Of Women I Like", and you shouldn't either...



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this - such am important message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your daughter's self love and this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rivka and @Lana Thanks for reading it! Eliciting a response from readers is the most enjoyable aspect of writing be it a book or blog. And please feel free to share with your circles and with your followers if the spirit moves you. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete